Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hajmola - Love it or Hate it?

Humans need to eat, but as we're all different we all have different tastes and therefore we like to eat some foods and not others. We sometimes might not prefer to eat some foods but given a choice we'd rather not, for example you are presented with a cup of coffee when visiting somewhere but thinking you would rather have tea, you drink the coffee anyway out of politeness. Some foods though clearly don't have this middle ground tolerance, your body will accept it graciously or reject it like an allergic reaction.

Pooh would!
Yes, as the clue in the title suggests, I am talking about Hajmola. If you have no idea what Hajmola is, you should be able to find them in any local Indian groceries store. It is tablet usually eaten after a meal that offers to control digestion and flatulence (between you and me, that means 'farting'). Millions of these tablets get churned out from Dabur, India, and plenty of people around the world enjoy taking a Hajmola for that preventative step towards reducing indigestion and related diseases.

Hajmola - the cure to farting!

I suprisingly saw a bottle of Hajmola tucked away on my living room bookshelf, the Mrs confirmed to eating the stuff. I asked, "How did Hajmola end up in our house? They taste horrible!" (- a reference to when I was in Nepal in 1999, I was offered to try one by a cousin while in the vicinity of Pashupatinath Temple, I spat the the thing straight out, and everyone and all the locals turned around like I had committed a crime - an embarrassing scene. It tasted so vile at the time, I couldn't contain myself, it was like a bee sting in the mouth. I think I may have upset the gods.)


Thirteen years later, I'm told,  "They [Hajmolas] taste different now, they come in different flavours too, Imli, Pudina and Lime. Try this Imli one."

Not entirely convinced, I bravely open the lid of the bottle. I bring the open bottle towards my nostrils and give it a quick sniff - like a police dog, enough to not warrant the tablets as something suspicious.

Giving it a third thought, I thought to myself, "Nooo, they really taste different now? Well, it has sure been a while. If Snickers used to be called Marathon and still live on, Hajmola is within a chance."

Hajmola tablet - in the mouth you go and back out you come.

No kidding, if fart came in tablet form, it is Hajmola (ironically). I tried, I really did, but I spat the thing straight into the nearest sensible place. Maybe another thirteen years Hajmola when maybe I might start losing my taste buds.

Do check this guy out on Youtube. He has started a Hajmola Challenge. The challenge is to chew not one, but ten Hajmola's in one go, chew them, and swallow them comfortably in 90 seconds. Can this guy do it? Funnily, in the 2 years since that was posted, no one has challenged him! and I am not surprised! :-)




Hajmola. Love it? or Hate it?

This has reminded me, it's been a looooong time I've tried Marmite.

Peace.

P.S. Why anyone would want to is beyond my wildest imagination, but Hajmola's do carry an overdose warning. Irritation to the stomach they say [1].

[1] http://www.dabur.com/Export-Health%20Care-Hajmola

3 comments:

  1. Hahha funny post! Hajmolas are allright but smells like shit to anyone who is not eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can somehow tolerate Hajmola Imli as it is less pungent than the others but pudina lime and ordinary one make me run away as soon as possible. The Candy on the other hand is yummy!

    ReplyDelete